All you feel.
All you save.
beg, borrow or steal.
All that you say.
And everyone you meet
And everyone you fight.
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
“There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it’s all dark.”
Jon done, Republican Debate, Hiroshima, ‘You’ve covered your ass’. Not really that much more to say today.
Science Oriented Video
The law that entropy always increases holds, I think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature. If someone points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell’s equations – then so much the worse for Maxwell’s equations. If it is found to be contradicted by observation – well, these experimentalists do bungle things sometimes. But if your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation.
–Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1927)
Science News and Blogs
- Dark side of the moon captured by Nasa satellite a million miles from Earth, by Oliver Milman, The Guardian
- Why the long face? Researchers compile directory of horse facial expressions, by Tim Radford, The Guardian
- Are you smarter than a Japanese schoolchild?, by Alex Bellos, The Guardian
- Can we reverse the ageing process by putting young blood into older people?, by Ian Sample, The Guardian
- Mathematical déjà vu, and Coffee, by Jon Butterworth, The Guardian
- Nasa says Congress cuts mean $490m is needed to buy rides on Russian rockets, by Reuters
- Generation game: earliest evidence of reproduction in complex species found, Tim Radford, The Guardian
- ‘Magnetic’ Discovery May Reveal Why Earth Supports Life and Mars Doesn’t, by Charles Q. Choi, Live Science
- Lexus’ New Hoverboard Is Cool, But Will It Fly?, by Elizabeth Palermo, Live Science
- Lion ‘Factory Farms,’ and the Dark Side of Wildlife Tourism, by Nicole Paquett, Live Science
Obligatories, News and Blogs below.
Welcome to The Breakfast Club! We’re a disorganized group of rebel lefties who hang out and chat if and when
we’re not too hungover we’ve been bailed out we’re not too exhausted from last night’s (CENSORED)the caffeine kicks in. Join us every weekday morning at 9am (ET) and weekend morning at 10:30am (ET) to talk about current news and our boring lives and to make fun of LaEscapee! If we are ever running late, it’s PhilJD’s fault.
I would never make fun of LaEscapee or blame PhilJD. And I am highly organized.
This Day in History
- Hiroshima atomic bomb: a simple toll of a bell signals the moment 80,000 died, by Justin McCurry, The Guardian
- Canceling Deal for 2 Warships, France Agrees to Repay Russia, By SABRINA TAVERNISE, The New York Times
- Chicago police detained thousands of black Americans at interrogation facility, by Spencer Ackerman and Zach Stafford, The Guardian
- Homan Square: Chicago congressman calls for renewed inquiry into ‘disparate treatment’, by Spencer Ackerman and Zach Stafford, The Guardian
- ‘Asparagus water’ and $8 eggs: Whole Foods proves it knows its customers, by Adam Gabbatt, The Guardian
- Mexicans Aren’t Buying Official Account of ‘El Chapo’ Escape, By WILLIAM NEUMAN, The New York Times
- Did slavery cause Civil War? Many Americans don’t think so, By Samantha Ehlinger, McClatchy
- Norway’s Utoya youth camp to reopen, 4 years after mass shooting, Associated Press
- Researchers hack a Tesla Model S, bring car to stop, By Samantha Masunaga, Los Angeles Times
- Arby’s Gets The Last Laugh In Farewell to Jon Stewart and The Daily Show, by Melissa Locker, Time Magazine
- The Economist: The TPP is Dead, Yves Smith, Naked Capitalism
- Hartmann: Matthews Attack On Sanders All About Not Wanting Outsider Seriously Running For President, By Heather, Crooks & Liars
- Confirmed: Scott Walker Is John Doe!, By capper, Crooks & Liars
- When The Real World Confronts Trade Theories, The Real World Wins, By Dave Johnson, Crooks & Liars
- After The ‘Maui Meltdown’, TPP Has Missed A Key Deadline That Probably Means It’s Doomed Whatever Is Now Agreed, by Glyn Moody, Tech Dirt
- Want To Know Why DHS Is Opposing CISA? Because It’s All A Surveillance Turf War, by Mike Masnick, Tech Dirt
- Question To Ask Anyone Who Supports CISA: What Breach Would It Have Stopped?, by Mike Masnick, Tech Dirt
- On Hiroshima Anniversary, Iran Deal Opponents Make One More Push Based on Parchin Photos, By Jim White, emptywheel
- Neoliberalism Helped Syrian Banks Evade Sanctions, By emptywheel
- One Question for Each Republican Candidate in Tomorrow’s Debate, By Charles P. Pierce, Esquire