All that is left for Greece is to eat worms and it still would not satisfy Kaiser Merkel. #ThisIsACoup
A list of draconian new austerity demands handed to the Greek government in Brussels Sunday ignited a global backlash against Germany, German Prime Minister Angela Merkel and finance minister, Wolfgang Schaeuble.
#ThisIsACoup became the top trending hashtag on Twitter worldwide – and is #1 in Germany and Greece.
The tag was attached to tens of thousands of angry comments denouncing Germany’s aggressive demands that the Greek parliament pass new severe austerity laws within days to raise taxes, privatize public assets and cut back on pensions. [..]
Here are the EU proposals that outraged many around the globe:
1. Streamlining the VAT
2. Broadening the tax base
3. Sustainability of pension system
4. Adopt a code of civil procedure
5. Safeguarding of legal independence of ELSAT – the statistic office
6. Full implementation of spending cuts
7. Meet bank recovery and resolution directive
8. Privatize electricity transmission grid
9. Take decisive action on non-performing loans
10. Ensure independence of privatization body TAIPED
11. De-Politicize the Greek administration
12. Return of the Troika t0 Athens (the paper calls them the institutions)
Those are the demands that must be approved by Wednesday. The only thing they forgot to ask for is resignation of the prime minister, his cabinet and the Greek parliament.
From Ian Welsh
Basically the Greeks offered the EU everything they had asked for before and then some, but the EU won’t take it, they want their pound of flesh for being embarrassed by the referendum.
I get that Syriza and some Greeks don’t want Grexit, and will do virtually anything to avoid it, but I’m hoping (probably vainly) that there might be some depths to which they will not sink, some abasement they will not endure, some calamity they will not inflict upon the weakest and poorest in their own society.
Probably not. Not quite sure why I still have faith in humanity to ever do the right thing when any other option exists.
“OK, now that you’re crawling, down on your belly!”