(2 pm. – promoted by ek hornbeck)
Jesse LaGreca, aka MinistryofTruth and blogger extraordinaire, has been in Manhattan protesting with Occupy Wall St and speaking out about the economic injustice that enhances the 1% and leaves him one of the 99%. He was interviewed for On the Record with Greta van Sustern, needless to say, the piece ended on the cutting room floor. A copy if the video was made available by Kyle Christopher of Occupy Wall Street‘s media team to the New York Observer who also provides the transcript:
Fox: Your colleague, she’d seen the protests in Greece and Europe and elsewhere. Did you guys take your cue from that? Are you hoping to cite certainly what was a lot of the tension, if not police activity. I know over the weekend there were over 100 arrests and you guys got things fired up. Are you taking your cues from the international movement and how do you want to see this? If you could have it in a perfect way, how would it be?
Jesse: Well I don’t know, its really difficult to answer questions leading to those conclusions. I’d say that we didn’t take our cue leading off of anybody really. It became a more spontaneous movement. As far as seeing this end, I wouldn’t like to see this end. I would like to see the conversation continue. This is what we should have been talking about in 2008 when the economy collapsed. We basically patched a hole on the tire and said let the car keep rolling. Unfortunately it’s fun to talk to the propaganda machine and the media especially conservative media networks such as yourself, because we find that we cant get conversations for the department of Justice’s ongoing investigation of News Corporation, for which you are an employee. But we can certainly ask questions like you know, why are the poor engaging in class warfare? After 30 years of having our living standards decrease while the wealthiest 1% have had it better than ever, I think it’s time for some maybe, I don’t know, participation in our democracy that isn’t funded by news cameras and gentlemen such as yourself.
Fox: But, uh, yeah well, let me give you this challenge Jesse.
Fox: We’re here giving you an opportunity on the record […] to put any
message you want out there, to give you fair coverage and I’m not
going to in any way
Jesse: That’s awesome!
Fox:…give you advice about it. So, there is an exception in the case, because you wouldn’t be able to get your message out there without us.
Jesse: No, surely, I mean, take for instance when Glenn Beck was doing his protest and he called the President, uh, a person who hates white people and white culture. That was a low moment in Americans’ history and you guys kinda had a big part in it. So, I’m glad to see you coming around and kind of paying attention to what the other 99 percent of Americans are paying attention to, as opposed to the far-right fringe, who who would just love to destroy the middle class entirely.
Fox: Alright, fair enough. You have a voice, an important reason to criticize myself, my company and anyone else. But, let me ask you that, in fairness, does this administration, President Obama, have any criticism as to the the financial situation the country’s in…?
Jesse: I think, myself, uh, as well as many other people, would like to see a little but more economic justice or social justice-Jesus stuff-as far as feeding the poor, healthcare for the sick. You know, I find it really entertaining that people like to hold the Bill of Rights up while they’re screaming at gay soldiers, but they just can’t wrap their heads around the idea that a for-profit healthcare system doesn’t work. So, let’s just look at it like this, if we want the President to do more, let’s talk to him on a level that actually reaches people, instead of asking for his birth certificate and wasting time with total nonsense like Solyndra.
Jesse, my friend, you rock.
From Talking Points Memo
As the Occupy Wall Street protests reach their third week, mainstream media organizations are beginning to take notice. Here, courtesy of the New York Observer, comes an as yet unaired Fox News interview with outspoken protester Jess LaGreca.
LaGreca told the Fox reporter, who isn’t identified, that the Occupy Wall Street protests are a “spontaneous movement” — one he wouldn’t like to see end.
What digby said:
It looks to me as if the silly hippies have something to say after all. And they’re quite adept at saying it.
That OWS protester’s name is Jesse LaGreca and apparently he’s quite willing to speak to anyone who asks. Perhaps the mainstream media could look him up next time they go on one of their sociological forays into the wilds of Liberty Park.